Friday, February 24, 2012

I May be the Only One Out There That Feels This Way, But...

After yesterday's post, I thought I would end the week on a bit of a lighter note. I love Ellen. The show, the woman, everything. I think she is a great lady who does a lot of great things for people. I don't think she ever comes off as too full of herself or trying to get everyone to think she's so great. I usually try to catch all the shows whether I watch when it's on or have it on recording to watch sometime during the day.

However, there are some reoccurring guests that I am not agreeing with.

A few months back, Ellen featured one of the famous YouTube videos of Sophia Grace and Rosie. If you are unfamiliar, go ahead and take a look. I think most people know who I am talking about. Ellen has made them "famous." I too thought they were so cute when I first saw them, loved their interview and couldn't believe that little, British girl memorized those words to Nikki Minaj's Super Bass. 
sophia grace and rosie meet nikki minaj
Source
So far I have seen them back on the show three more times {they may have appeared more, I don't catch every show} and the more I see, the more I don't like. These little girls are five and eight years old. The are, or are portraying, that they are completely obsessed with celebrities. I understand that kids go through phases and find certain things entertaining at different times and it is funny here and there. That Sophia Grace memorized that song would have been funny and it would have been fine to leave it at that. However, apparently Ellen keeps inviting them back and obviously their parents are going right along with it.
2011 American Music Awards - Arrivals
Source
Everyone is enabling these girls to immerse themselves in the world of celebrities--the were Ellen's correspondents at the Grammies--which I find to be a little unhealthy. Not that I see anything wrong with being a fan and liking certain celebrities or songs or anything but it seems like these girls' image is being built on idolizing celebrities. Call me a prude but I think kids need to get a little bit older to become immersed in celebrity entertainment so that there may be some possibility of them understanding reality. On another note, they don't live in America. So their frequent appearances on the show are obviously causing them to miss school. How is that okay?

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here and I can totally appreciate a cute kids' performance just as much as the next person but I think this is going a little bit too far. I understand Ellen just thinks they are cute and likes doing nice things for people and maybe she isn't seeing the underlying negatives of the situation. So, Ellen, as much as I respect you, I have to disagree on this matter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you on this. It is too much and too over the top. Also the girls don't seem very "real" and the whole thing has snowballed to the point of "okay we get it..."

Good call Allyce!