Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Feeling in Limbo...

Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have someone standing behind you to yell out, "Go!" at all the right times in your life?

Ok, I know that is not very realistic and probably wouldn't be too much fun, however, I have been in "limbo" for almost a year and, I tell you, it is a hard place to be! I am just waiting to go back to school so I can get on the path to my career. Sometimes it feels like I am doing nothing with my life. I know that is not true--I am a wife who loves taking care of her husband, I love taking care of my dog, I do have a job right now (not super fulfilling but it puts money in the bank), I volunteer at an elementary school and my family is close by. However, as far as relationships go outside of my marriage and family, that is what I have come to question.

What saddens me about our world and our culture is that the majority of people are always on the go. I do not feel that I have a girlfriend whom I can plan a day or even an afternoon with that would have a similar schedule as me as to where it would not be conflicting with something in each of our busy lives. Friendship is really important to me but over the last year, I feel like my friendship may not be as important to those around me as I thought it was. Yes, friends move away, or may not be able to see each other as much, but with as much technology and means of staying in touch as we have, I don't really see how friends can drift apart unless it is intentional. Which brings to to my next point of why would it be intentional?

I have always considered myself a good friend--but I suppose that means something different to everyone--I feel as though I am a good listener, I enjoy being around my friends, I try to make plans as much as I can, but I don't always feel the same back. I have always been more closed off, not necessarily an open book, and maybe save my most intimate thoughts for my closest friends, but I don't think that takes away from me being a good friend. I like to be the best friend I can be to a few selected close friends, however it seems to me nowadays, people try to spread themselves too thin and maybe end up neglecting some aspects of their good friendships.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a blog about me feeling like I am in limbo and the connection here is that, because I am waiting on my next step, I have a lot of spare time and have a lot of time to think about missing friends who have come and gone.

I am a Washington-grown girl but for once in my life I am started to finally be tired of this weather, so I am sure this doesn't help my mood! Yes, it was sunny out today, but I am tired of being cold!

No comments: