Monday, August 16, 2010

Reading Response to Chapters 1-10

I have joined an online book club and we are reading "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes." It seems a little silly to have a book club online, but with all of our busy lives, it seems perfect to be able to jump online, read some questions and the ongoing discussion about the book and get on with the day. I will probably miss the live chit chat, having a cup of coffee and some snacks with girls but for now, this is great too! Here are the questions we had this week:

1. What was your first impression of Tim?
My first impression of Tim is that he is charming. It is a little strange to me to think, in this day and age of a 22 year old guy showing interest in a 16 year old girl but this is set years ago, so I think back then it was a little different.
2. If you were in CeeCee’s position, would you be willing to help your boyfriend in the way that she is willing to help Tim?
It is very hard to say because when you are "in love" with someone, the way CeeCee is convinced she is, it is hard to imagine they would ever do something to put you in harm's way. I think back to myself at 16 and I don't think I would have been able to bring myself to do anything illegal for a boyfriend.
3. Why do you think CeeCee is so eager to please Tim?
I think CeeCee is very vulnerable and NEEDS Tim to love her so she wants him to approve. I think she is afraid of losing him, therefore there is the constant need to please him.
4. Who do you think has it harder? Tim or CeeCee?
Harder in terms of their lives? I think CeeCee has it harder because she lost her mother at such an early age and has been on her own at such a young age. I admire her positive outlook on life and the fact that she has goals. However, I think stemming from the loss of her mother has come her insecurities, vulnerabilities and need to be loved. Tim has it rough in a different way though. I mean, the loss of his mother, his crazy brother and sister in jail are not easy things to deal with, but he is also an adult with more life experience than CeeCee.
5. What character trait(s) about CeeCee stuck out the most to you in these first ten chapters?
Her positive attitude, honesty, sense of sweetness about her, trusting and willing to go the extra mile for those she loves.
6. Do you think CeeCee is as mature as she seem?
I definitely do not. CeeCee has dealt with some tough stuff in her life which has definitely matured her more so than a girl her age who has not experienced such life changing events, but she still has a lot to learn.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

LOVED all your answers. I didn’t have as much self control and so I read the whole book in no time, haha!! Love reading your take on the first 10 chapters!! :)

Leah said...

I read the whole book too! I wish I had more self control. Totally agree with your answers!

BeckyJo606 said...

I really enjoyed reading your responses! I liked your take on CeeCee! I am so enjoying the book. Question--is Riemenschneider your last name or did you combine your names when you got married? I only ask because my last name is Schneider! :)

Allyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.