Friday, October 8, 2010

Oh my Hummus, it's Friday!

I don't know what it is about a Friday evening that makes me want to relax, enjoy a drink (alcoholic or not) and some yummy tidbits. My parents do it. Hub's parents do it. Maybe that's where I get it! I came across the recipe for Hummus randomly on the back of the Cumin spice container. I tried it. I loved it. I'm sharing it.
Hummus
1 can drained Chick Peas (Garbonzo beans), reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid
1 clove garlic (We like garlic, I bump my measurement up to 4 cloves)
1 teaspoon cumin (I like cumin, I bump it up to 2 tsp.)
1/4 teaspoon each of ground red pepper (cayenne) and salt (again, you can adjust these measurements to your own taste, i.e. we like a little spicy, I dash in some more cayenne)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Olive Oil
1. Pour chick peas, garlic, cumin, salt, red pepper, and lemon juice into food processor.

2. Pulse a few times to grind up ingredients.
3. Add reserved chick pea liquid and pulse until smooth.
4. If you are not satisfied with consistency (should be smooth), stream in olive oil until smooth.
Serve with pita chips, crackers, fresh veggies or whatever it is you enjoy dipping in Hummus!

I found these delicious Sweet Potato and Corn Tortilla Chips at the store. There are several variations to this recipe to tweak it up a bit. I have added sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic on different occasions. Although it is easy to stop into the store the next time you are headed to a get-together and grab a container of hummus and a bag of chips, as you can see above, with just a little extra effort for less money, you can wow your friends with this simple hummus recipe!

No comments: