Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Braised Beef Short Ribs

As a I mentioned in my post yesterday we shared in part of a whole cow with my parents. For some reason, the first think Hub was really excited to have was short ribs. Or maybe it was me that was excited. I can't really remember. We got the beef on Sunday and the short ribs were on the menu for last night's dinner. I looked at a few different recipes here, here and here and as usual kind of did a combo of all of them. Adding some ingredients and leaving some out for what I didn't have or didn't feel like using.

I took about four pounds of the short ribs and dredged them in flour and put them in the Dutch oven on the stove with some hot olive oil and let them brown on each side.



I took the beef out and added diced carrots, diced celery, diced onion and garlic. I let these soften a bit and then added in about a cup of Cabernet Sauvignon and let it come to a boil. Then I added three cups of beef broth. I am seasoning through all of these steps, in the flour, the beef, in the vegetables and in the beef broth. For seasoning I just used salt, pepper and garlic salt.



I added the beef and bite-sized chunks of carrots and celery, covered and put in the oven on 350 for two and a half hours. I lowered the temperature to 325 for a half an hour.

I boiled some whole wheat pasta, put beef, sauce and veggies on top and a salad on the side. Yum! Easy and delish!

No comments: