Monday, November 14, 2011

"First Day of the Rest of my Life..."

Those are the words Hub used on Friday, which was my first day off work after my last day. I always associated those words with a wedding, not necessarily "maternity leave" or an indefinite work hiatus. We have decided that I will be home for as long as it makes sense. If it starts to not make sense {financially} we can re-evaluate our options whether that be me finding a part time job, going back to a couple shifts a week at my old job, or Hub looking for a new job. Only time will tell.

Tomorrow will technically be my first day that I won't regularly go to work. The past couple weeks I have only been working three days a week. However, we decided it had come to the point in my pregnancy where I was just exhausted after work, it took me a couple days off to recover from those days at work and by that time it was time to start another week again. Standing for 7-8 hours was taking a toll on my body. I had really wanted to work until about a week before my due date but I have to listen to my body and we figure it is time to really focus on taking care of the baby and I. So, for the next few weeks that is what I am doing. I will actually have energy to get some chores done around the house, finish a couple more projects in the nursery, continue to wash baby clothes, put a few meals in the freezer, relax, take naps, go on walks, and read.

I have worked since I was about fifteen or sixteen so this hiatus before the baby comes is a little weird to me. I know once she comes, I will be a busy bee and not really think about not going to a "job" everyday but will be focusing on my new job at home. However, since she isn't here quite yet, it is a little weird to think about "just" being home everyday. I am so lucky to have such a loving and supportive husband who only wants the best for our family--whether it be regarding health, finances, stability and a parent home with our children. He makes it very clear that he will always do whatever he can to make our visions come true. I love him for that.

So, today I am feeling a little strange because I usually feel rushed on Mondays to grocery shop, do all the laundry, clean a bit, maybe go see a friend, get dinner made and even throw in a baked good here or there. However, today, I know that I have all the time in the world the rest of the week. It is nice to be able to do things at a slower pace and sit down when I need to. I am so excited to have energy this afternoon to go on a walk. The dog needs it more than as much as I do!

2 comments:

The Arizona Russums said...

having free time is weird for worker bees like us, but i hope that it is restful and joyful for you!!!

kaitlyn said...

clearly, i am getting caught up on your blog. ;)

enjoy these last couple of weeks. it will truly be the last couple of weeks for you and only you (and ben). life will never be the same, no matter how old... your sweet eleanor will be on your brain always and forever (and quite likely within three feet of you at all times).

in other news: staying at home is HARD. but sooooo worth it. and financially, you spend what you make/have. you can do it on any income, but you have to be smart about a lot of things.

so excited fo ryou!!!!