Thursday, November 17, 2011

My First Time at a "Mommy" Group

A few months ago a customer and I were talking about breastfeeding and she informed me of a group called La Leche League. Maybe some of you have heard of it but for those who haven't it is a support group for breastfeeding moms. I had sort of forgotten about it because the meetings were during my work hours. Well, the other day my friend who had her baby in September asked if I wanted to go with her to this week's meeting. Of course I said yes.
Source
We didn't really know what to expect. My friend told me that her vision was a bunch of women sitting around feeding their babies--which actually turned out to be pretty accurate, however, there was some really great discussion and all of the women were really nice. Everyone was really open and honest about answers and it never felt like anyone was being judged. The topic for the week was "Ideas for the Holidays" because for a few of the moms in the room it would be the first set of holidays with their babies so it was time to brainstorm how to handle certain situations--sticking to feeding and nap schedules, too much passing around of the baby, travelling with a baby, etc.

I found it really helpful as an expecting mom because even though I haven't dealt with any issues, breastfeeding or otherwise, it was nice to hear answers to some of the questions for anything I have to look forward to. My friend brought up the point that people say breastfeeding is "hard" but we may only think that because we may get sore or this or that, but there are so many other factors that can come into play so it is really nice to have a support system or else it can be really easy to give up.

This is kind of a random post, I guess, but I had a really good experience and wanted to share in case anyone out there wants to look up their La Leche League {<--link for the international website}.

1 comment:

kaitlyn said...

if you ever have questions about breastfeeding, hit me up! i breastfeed both girls until 1, and have been in lots of situations and had mastitis, etc. seriously, anything you need to know, i am here!

LLL can be good, but fair warning, some of those ladies advocate breastfeeding until 4 or older and have been known to breastfeed said children at meetings. ;)