Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Unlikely Friends

I think friends are so important in life. I have had many friends throughout different seasons of life some who have remained and some whom I have lost touch with. I used to get really bent out of shape about losing touch with friends but I guess the way I see it is that unfortunately life gets busy and for whatever reason, it is a natural progression to lose touch with some people. I don't see it as a bad thing anymore. I do love the type of friendships that you may not talk to or see the person for quite some time but if you do, you pick right back up where you left off.

I have always had a close relationship with my mom. I can talk to her about anything, we talk multiple times a day and she is always there for me to help with anything I need. I mention this because the friendships that I am about to talk about kind of relate to a motherly relationship. They are friendships with women who are around my mother's age. Ben kind of makes fun of me for being friends with these older women {not in a mean way, I just think he finds it humorous that we always call ourselves "old" and then I kind of prove it by being friends with older women.} The reason I mention the relationship with my mom is because I think I would be more likely drawn to women this age if I didn't have a good relationship with my mother or she wasn't around.

I worked with both of these women in two separate places. We grew to chat and see each other outside of work. And I just really enjoy their company. I have always enjoyed the company of people older than myself but obviously this goes beyond a little older than myself. We have conversations about anything, we can go for walks, out for a drink, to get coffee and it never feels weird to me. The age difference is not weird to me. It just feels like I am hanging out with a pal. The other interesting thing is that it never feels like I am hanging out with my mom. Even though they are around that same age, it doesn't feel like either one of the women are my mother.

I think it is healthy and important to have a diverse group of friends. I love being able to call different friends for different reasons or think of one friend who would help me better with something than another friend. Though it is amazing and nice to have so many friends in the same season of life as me, it is also very nice to have some that aren't. They offer insight, anecdotes and company in a different way than my friends who are married with a baby or baby on the way like myself.

Do you ever find yourself in an unlikely friendship? Do you have different reasons to be thankful for each friendship? Do you feel like you have a lot of different kinds of friends or mostly all the same?

No comments: