Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Home for the Holidays

Finally, after a couple of years away, my husband gets to go home for the holidays--and obviously, I'm going with!
Image
I mean, I don't think this picture really represents what "home for the holidays" will look like for us, but I thought it was a nice image that stirs up memories of cozy holidays at home.

Our holiday may look a little more like this:
Image
That's right, San Antonio, TX. It is estimated to be 70ish+ and sunny on Christmas day. That's a little foreign to this lil' ol' Washington born and bred, rainy weather girl. This will be my first Christmas in 25 years that I am not with my parents and brother. Last year, Hub and I got a little taste of what it was like to wake up on Christmas morning with just the two of us. It was definitely different than Christmas pasts because our first Christmas spent together was the one before when his parents came and stayed with us. It was a busy, hustle-bustle with everyone around, but it was also picturesque because we actually had a white Christmas which happens about every other year here. 

I am so excited to experience this side of the family's traditions, see decorations, eat good food and even bring along some of my own ideas of Christmas traditions. It will be a short trip with lots planned to ensure we get the most out of the trip but the point is that we will be there for Christmas. We get to see some friends, go see some holiday decorations and get together with some extended family. 

I will obviously miss my family but I know I will be in good hands. My mother-in-law is also being very gracious in being very aware of how difficult this may be for my mom as my mother-in-law lives away from her son all the time. We may have a Skype session on Christmas day which may be nice. We head out tomorrow so I hope write a couple of posts while we are gone, but I may just have to play catch up when we return.

What are your favorite holiday traditions? Will you travel for the holiday? Was it hard when you spent your first Christmas away from "your" family?

1 comment:

d.a.r. said...

Have a wonderful Christmas!!