Friday, December 17, 2010

Time to Set the Mood

We are hosting a holiday party tomorrow night. You know the type. White Elephant/Ugly Sweater/Holiday Cheer Party. Appetizers, desserts, drinks, laughs, games, friends and family--sounds like a great time. We did it last year. We did a New Year's version the year before. It always turns out to be quite enjoyable.

Hub and I attended a party last weekend of a family friend and I couldn't help but notice the "ambiance" of her house. It was dim but not dark. Light enough to navigate your way around but not giving you the feeling of being in a gym. Last year, I tried to convince Hub we should turn off the lights in the dining room (which is in between the front living room and the family room) but he said it was "too dark and weird." This year, my mom had a great idea for picking up some lower watt bulbs {apparently my brain just doesn't have the capacity to think of these types of things yet!} and I slipped them into the dining room light fixture today and I love the dimness!
GE Extra Soft White Low Wattage
Image
 None of our other rooms (besides the kitchen) are too bright so it will give a great ambiance. With the Christmas lights and candles to give a warm, cozy glow the house should have a nice feel come dusk tomorrow evening.

What tricks do you use to "set a mood" in your house? Are you thankful for the dark, winter-y months to "hide" any shortcuts in cleaning for a get together? {did I really just admit that?!}

No comments: