Friday, December 10, 2010

The Inaugural Stitches

Ok, sew, I have been wanting to learn how to sew for awhile now. I just think it's a great skill to have be able to make stuff for the home, gifts and any other reason you may have to get creative. I have never really been what you would call "artsy" or "crafty" but lately I have been trying. Sew, my mom's friend gifted me her first machine she ever had and was even gracious enough to come over to my house and give me a tutorial. What a lady she is!

We decided an easy first project is pillowcases and what do you know, I needed some color on our bed! Sew {getting old yet? Ok, I'm done.}, I picked out some fabric to tie in with the color scheme in our bedroom and just a few easy steps later I have four beautiful pillowcases.

We made one the day she was here so that she could talk to me about the machine, some basic sewing lingo and stitches, etc. and on that first pillow, we sewed a ruffle on the end. Well apparently to Hub, ruffle=too girly so I ended up with a ruffle on two, so they would match and then just flat ends on the other two. Remember how I mentioned our furniture being a little too feminine in color? Well, I didn't want him laying his handsome little head on "too feminine" of pillows every night also. Apparently, the wall color in our bedroom is a little feminine as well {seriously, I give up!} but I don't think it is. It kind of changes color depending on the light. I can't really get a good light to get a good picture of it either. Anyway, I have digressed to paint color.

Back to the pillowcases.
The dining room crafting table
Good thing about Hub walking in one evening and being greeting by this on the table is that it elicited this reaction, "Maybe I can build you a craft table." Why, yes, Hub, maybe you can!

On the bed. Not great lighting.


Ruffled and non-ruffled.
Now I'm not saying I'm going to turn into some professional seamstress by any means {at least I don't think}, I just thought it would be nice to know a thing or two about a sew machine. I mean, someday there will be a baby room that needs some sewing done I'm sure....curtains, blankets, burp cloths--really the possibilities are endless and I even found a great website with free patterns
{I am working up to a post of the whole master bedroom since I feel as though we have been making so many steps towards "finishing" it, but it is not quite there yet. Stay tuned.}


No comments: