Friday, November 19, 2010

Changin' it Up

I used to be afraid of paint. Can you believe it?! Acting like it was permanent, could never be changed, agonize over picking the perfect color, etc. Now I am convinced that there is no better answer to change the look of something than ... paint!

It's probably been about a year since we bought some furniture from a friend of mine. She wanted to get rid of it because she had moved into a new place and had no more room. She had had it since she was a teen so it was fairly dated. I convinced Hub since we had been making some progress in "finishing" our bedroom and making it look a little more cohesive that we should paint the furniture. We received a coupon in the mail form the local hardware store and I was sold! $10 off a gallon and an additional $5 off any item gets me hustlin' right into that store! We have a couple of night tables that we purchased new about a year ago and we were trying to match those. 
 

I also have been seeing the successes of spray paint so I also convinced Hub that we should try to spray paint the fixtures and "just see what happens." He was skeptical to say the least. I did not document the whole experience but I do have a "before" and after. 
BEFORE 
{This piece is not in our room but currently lives in our spare bedroom however it did not get repainted (yet) and, in bad blogger form,  I did not take a before picture of either dresser before we painted but this night table does the trick for an idea of what the dressers looked like.}


AFTER
Although the furniture is now a tad feminine, it goes with the decor of the room and really brightens the room. {I will post some pics of the whole room pretty soon.} At the last minute I panicked and thought maybe we should have been doing black paint but figured that may be a little dark. We are both pretty happy with the result. Hub also refinished the tops of the dressers which turned out really great.


Spray-painted fixture in a hammered metal black. 
We think we have come across a new interest in refinishing furniture. We are now on the hunt for older, inexpensive furniture that we can get our little paws on!. Oh, and now that I'm not afraid of paint anymore, I'm ready to tackle the kitchen cabinets....stay tuned! What have you re-done lately, repainted, or spray-painted?

No comments: