Tuesday, August 9, 2011

There are Reasons I Need a Man's Help

Lately I have been trying my hand at bbqing. I use the word "trying" lightly because I still prefer to just have Hub do it. Sometimes if I really want to have dinner ready right when he gets home or if he is running a little late, I have braved the BBQ(s). Also, when Ben was travelling so much, I used the gas grill by myself.

A couple of weeks ago I even learned how to light the briquettes on the charcoal BBQ. Ben prefers the charcoal grill, as do I usually, so it's nice if I can start them and then he can grill when he gets home.

Last week, I wanted to grill some chicken for the Chinese Chicken Salad I was making to take for our weekend away. I had some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I asked Ben what temperature I should grill them on and he told me. However, I had some huge issues with the chicken sticking and it didn't appear that the left burner was on. I started to get frustrated and I'm pretty sure once I moved all the chicken to the hot parts of the grill it became pretty over cooked. Luckily I was putting it in a salad with many other ingredients and dressing.

Ben knows all the ins and outs of his grills, what temps to cook things on, how long it takes and it doesn't stress him out. For some reason, I have always associated BBQing with being stressful. Having to move things around, constantly keep an eye on it, flipping and turning.

Ben, you can have the grills and I will stick with the oven and stove. I just love having such a balanced marriage!

No comments: