Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: A Myriad of Baked Goods

Since I have slacked off a bit over the past few weeks with my Tasty Tuesday postings, I thought I would post a few recipes here today that I have experimented with and have definitely been successful with. I figured they could all be posted together because they all have one thing in common. They go in the oven. Who doesn't love sweets, savories, pastries, etc. that come from the oven? If you don't, you may want to shy away from this post.

First up we have a Dutch Baby. I am going to credit my friend, L, with this recipe. The same L that I borrowed the Irish blessing from. This recipe is in her family cookbook and I owed Hub a breakfast one morning {due to some bet I lost, which for the life of me I can't even remember what it was now....} and she showed me this recipe. Isn't that a great idea? A family cookbook. They compiled recipes from everyone and had it bound and everything. I loved it and maybe someday may think of doing one for our family.

Anyway, back to the Dutch Babies. In her grandma's recipe, they are to be baked in separate dishes, however I did not have enough of the right size oven-proof dishes, so ours ended up in one dish. A pie plate.
I know. It looks a little crazy. Exactly what I thought when I pulled it out of the oven. But, oh, so delish. And oh, so easy! Heres how you can make your own Dutch Baby. Or babies. Whatever your kitchen supplies allow.
Preheat oven to 425. Place 1 tbsp. butter in 4 oven-proof ramekins with 1 1/2 cup capacity. Or one pie plate. Place the dishes in the oven so the butter melts while the oven is warming. Don't let it brown.
1 cup of flour
1 cup of milk
Mix together in a blender or with a wire whisk.
4 eggs. Add one at a time beating well after each addition.
Add 1/8 tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. sugar. Mix.
Pour batter into containers or pie plate and bake for 25 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!
Top with lemon juice, powdered sugar, syrup, fruit, or whatever else you like to top your pastries with. You won't be disappointed.

Next up, we have Beer Bread. I have always wanted to try it so I decided, why not? I had read a couple of different recipes but found this one and decided it was best for me. {Mostly because it lacked self-rising flour, which I had none of.} I found my recipe here  and this is what I came up with:
It was so yummy, so easy and is a great accompaniment to dinner, breakfast or heck, just a mid-afternoon snack! But if you go with the amount of butter they tell you to top it with, you may want to head to the treadmill after that mid-afternoon snack. Hub couldn't stop raving about this bread. 

Last but not least for today I have Blondies for you to drool over. I was perusing one of my favorite sites Simply Recipes and found myself in the Cookie section and decided a short baking project was what I needed for five o' clock on a Monday evening. Out of the oven popped these bad boys.
Gooey, rich and oh so yummy topped with some ice cream. I highly recommend the ice cream. Here is the recipe and my mix-ins were semi-sweet chips, white chips and walnuts.

So there you are, my friends. Sorry about the absence on Tuesdays but I hope this at least makes up for it a little bit. I mean, a good apology comes with baked goods right?

What are you baking lately? Any quick-breads, cookies, or breakfast pastries that you care to share?



No comments: