Monday, July 18, 2011

My Favorite Store

Probably since I was about 5 years old, my favorite store has been Nordstrom. I may be exaggerating on this age but probably only a little. I don't feel like I am a pretentious person or that clothes, accessories, shoes and handbags are the most important things in my life but I have always liked nice things. I am a person who would rather spend a little more on something to know it's going to last--not lose shape when I wash it, lose a button right away, have a zipper break, etc. It is also nice to know that a store has such a great return policy. I know Hub can attest that I have improved immensely on my shopping since we have gained more responsibility. You know like a mortgage and such. I know that I cannot be shoppin' all the time which is why when I do, I like to make it count.

In past years I have been a crazy, mad woman shopper who likes to get to the store before it opens on this first day of the anniversary sale.
Nordstrom
Source
A couple of years ago, I did go to the sale early and bought a beautiful pair of Frye boots. However, this also happened to be the summer that we were about to get married, I was about to go on my bachelorette weekend, spend money on things such as nails and hair for the wedding and then travel on a honeymoon. Not such a great time to be splurging on some boots. Even though they were a really good deal! So with my buyer's remorse, I marched back to the store, shed a tear, and returned them. I have regretted it ever since. They were an all-around versatile boot, it was a good deal, and I have never seen them on sale since.

Fast forward to this year's sale. I did not rush in the morning of the beginning of the sale. I was at work. I had some other obligations after work, I was busy over the weekend so I did not make it into the sale until today. It started last Friday. I had my eye on a couple pairs of the Frye boots that I had seen in the preview book. I had birthday gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I was so proud of myself for saving them for the sale. 

I walk right to the section where the Frye's were displayed and do not see either boot. I immediately know that what I dreaded was true. They sold out. I find a salesman to confirm my suspicion and he does. I was disappointed but not entirely. There were so many other cute pairs. I tried a few on and found a pair I loved. I had planned on spending a little of my own money on the Frye's but with the ones I got I didn't even have to because they were less and I had enough in the gift cards and birthday money.
Vince Camuto 'Bilco' Boot (Nordstrom Exclusive)
Source
Love! I have been wanting knee-highs for a long time. Well, obviously since the summer of '09 when I bought the others! I just hadn't found the right ones. Now I have. I love that they aren't totally flat and have a small heel. I think they are versatile enough for what my "style" is and will go with a lot of outfits.

Another area I like to shop while the sale is on is men's dress attire. Not for me. For Hub. He wears a shirt and slacks to work and there is no better time than the sale to get them. We are slowly working the less expensive and less durable items he has out of his wardrobe and replacing them with nicer and more durable wear. He scored a couple of button up shirts and a polo.

I even splurged on my first baby purchases and got our girl some Nordy's duds. So, so fun. No I will not shop there all the time, I am not crazy, however I figured for the first couple of items I actually bought, a little splurge was okay. And hey, they were on sale!

Moral of the story, I love the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale and it will take a lot to talk me out of the fact that spending a little more at once but getting more for my money, outweighs spending more over the course of the year. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think you probably know what I mean. 

1 comment:

The Arizona Russums said...

Mmmm...I just went today. I bought myself a new watch for my birthday which is over a month away. I hope Micah likes it, since he will be the one "giving" it to me :)