Friday, July 29, 2011

Good Summer Eats

Sometimes I think I look at the season of summer like one big meal. There is an abundance of fresh produce that I can almost always count on being delicious. Our garden is growing out of control. That also is in part to the odd amount of rain we have had for this time of year. But, hey, the rain has helped so I'm not complaining for the veggies. Just my tan. Anyway. Thinking of summer as a meal, I love how our meals our so simple. So many different flavors can be grilled. Or tossed. Or sliced and drizzled. I also love the brightness of it all. The colors, smells and especially the flavors.
Seriously, nothing says summer to me like fresh strawberries. I'll take 'em in my salad, on my granola, on my waffle, or I'll just take 'em by the pound puh-lease!

What summer meal isn't complete without a green salad?! The first time I had ever made Hub a salad, quite awhile back, he looked at me like I was crazy. My mom always put everything in her green salads. Like, the usual, tomatoes and lettuce, but also, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, celery, green onions, radishes--basically whatever veggie was in the fridge would end up in our salad. The other reason Hub looked at me funny is because everything was chopped up into smaller than bite sized pieces. I guess that  was another thing I learned from my mom. So quite a few years later, I have learned to leave the salad ingredients just a little chunkier for the Hub but I usually still love to get them all in there.

Last night for dinner, I had some pork that was cut off our ribs from the weekend out for dinner. I figured we could just grill it. I had a pepper and an onion in the fridge and a zucchini from the garden. I skewered the veggies and cooked some rice. When Hub got home we grilled the meat and veggies, sliced a tomato, added some Asian sauces and came up with a really good summer dinner.

A few more of the many reasons I love summer in addition to this post. I'm sure we will have a few more scrumptious grilled meals thanks to the weather kicking into summer high gear.

What are your favorite summer foods? Do you love to grill as much as we do? Have you ever grilled any fruit?


No comments: