Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

September 11 to me is now a somber day. There hasn't been an hour that has gone by today that I have not thought about New York, the Pentagon, Pennsylvania and the thousands of Americans that the fateful day effected.

Remembering back a decade, I was a junior in high school. I remember glancing over at the news and seeing some clips of what was going on but it wasn't registering because I was eating breakfast and rushing out the door to school. It wasn't until I walked into my history class and saw my teacher that I realized what had happened was bad. Horrible. After school, talking to my mom, I remember her crying. Us talking about the severity of the situation and how devastating the events were.

Almost 10 years later, I visited Ground Zero. This past June when Ben and I traveled to the east coast, we went to Ground Zero. The memorial was still under construction however, being in that exact area took my breath away. All the emotions came rushing back from what I had felt and thought about 10 years before. After seeing the memorial revealed on television today, I think what they did with the space is beautiful. And just right.

To this day, seeing before and after photos or images of the New York skyline still makes me remember. Seeing any article about survivors or children who never met they dads because they died that day while the mothers were pregnant, seeing "FDNY" anywhere makes me remember.

That is what matters. Is that we remember. We continue to remember why we still have our freedom and be thankful everyday for the men and women who put their lives at risk for our safety and freedom.

God Bless America.

Source

No comments: