Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Few Thoughts on Being Pregnant...

It's funny how you go through your life and you always have pictures in your head of what certain events or times in your life will be like. Well, at least I do. I envisioned my college experience, what fabulous career I may get, who I would fall in love with and ultimately marry. And how my pregnancy would go if that day came. I don't think anything is the way I pictured it because who in the world's life is ever what they picture?!

I think it took us a few months longer to get pregnant than either of us pictured. Which is just fine and I know that it happened when it was supposed to.

I assumed I would just have this huge belly right from the start. I don't know why I think that. I think it's because you always notice pregnant women when they are close to the end and do have big bellies so it's like I just assumed that's what it's always like. I did start to learn with some friends though that it doesn't always "pop" until later. I still have people very surprised at how far along I am. I am learning to be okay with that and embrace the fact that I am almost in my third trimester and overall still pretty comfortable.

I assumed that I would be hungry all the time and have all these weird cravings and just eat and eat and eat. Not the case. I would say, overall, that my stomach has been pretty unsettled the whole time. There was a little morning sickness in the beginning. Then when that subsided, I still could never think of anything that sounded good to eat. It also seemed and still seems like sometimes that I have a small window of when to eat and when it will settle. Not too often. For instance, yesterday I was feeling pretty good all day until we sat down to eat dinner. I felt sick. I did eat dinner but only because I knew I should not because I wanted to. And let me tell you, if you haven't already gathered from reading my blog, this girl likes to eat. I'm hoping in the next trimester I will have more of an appetite.

I didn't realize how "in my own head" I would be all the time. I think Ben might take it as, and me as well sometimes, me being moody but really I just feel so overly consumed by this little life growing inside of me that it is a lot of what I think about all day long. From how we will care for her, to how the birth will go, to how I am processing everything and then to how I am coming across to others. I have noticed it at work, too. Most customers know that I am pregnant so some days they will ask if I am "ok" because I may be being quiet but really I think I am just "in my own head." I keep putting that in quotes because a friend described that as the way she felt and I completely understood what she meant when she said it.

I have read about women and the bodily functions going a little awry here and there but I don't think anyone quite gets that until its their body. I will just leave it at that.

I never imagined I would have such an involved, caring and loving husband. Seriously, he is the best. I also really appreciate the fact that he is not smothering. It is like we have just been on the same wavelength and that he knows when I need some extra attention and knows when I am fine doing things by myself. Perfection, I tell ya.

There have been many predictable situations of this pregnancy and many unpredictable ones. I think it is so interesting that no pregnancy is the same. Even for the same woman. That is also an interesting thing to me--so many women go through labor and have babies but no one can tell me what it's going to be like for me. I just have to prepare in my own head, with Ben, reading books and stay positive.

No comments: