Monday, September 26, 2011

Furniture Face Lift

Throughout the whole process of "filling" up the baby room with the "essentials"--you know, crib, chair, changing table/dresser, etc.--we haven't been super picky about things and really appreciate loaners, reused furniture and our find that we are pretty proud of, the dresser/changing table. We found it at a garage sale a few months ago and it took us me quite awhile to decide on a color. I couldn't decide if I wanted it to be really matchy, matchy with the bedding, look closer to the wood of the crib, be a neutral white or cream...so many possibilities, really. Then when I finally get a color in my head it's like, okay, what flavor of blue, green, orange, etc. There are a million of each. Maybe even a million and five. I don't know--a lot. It's a big decision.

Ben was pretty patient through my back and forth ordeal but finally I think he was itching for a project so he kind of forced me into going to Lowe's. Well, forced is a strong word but I was definitely dragging my feet. If there was anything I didn't need at this point it was to be faced with "the wall of color." However, it was better than I anticipated and it didn't take too long to come to a decision. Ben is a good decision maker. He's also easy on the eyes.

Back to the furniture.

Sorry about the poor cell phone picture but I just wanted to get a before picture because I have a tendency to forget that step. Also, it obviously has drawers but they had been taken out for transportation purposes.


We Ben gave her a little love and at first we were definitely nervous. What if the color is not what we expect? What if it turns out neon-ish? We think it's the perfect color but what if we are sent back to the drawing board?! Well after applying two coats of Valspar Greenhouse Tint, getting some cheap-o wooden knobs and spray painting them Valspar Berry in gloss, here is what we came up with.

I admit, it does look a little neon in the picture, but I promise it doesn't in real life. We absolutely love it. It may look like quirky colors to you now, but once you see the whole room, I think you'll agree that it fits perfectly. Well, and if you don't agree, I guess that's fine too because we are the ones that will be housing our girl in here!

We also repainted a nightstand to set next to the chair in the room to have a place to set things like a water glass, a book, our head when we get really tired from night-feedings...just kidding...I think.
We are very excited about the progress of the room. So much that I think the family shower that is being thrown for me will be at our house so that everyone can see the progress. There won't be too many people and I think it will be fun to show them.

Just for fun, here is how Holly lounges in the baby's room:

Are you re-doing any furniture lately? Do you get nervous before you paint something? Does your dog lay like a frog?








1 comment:

Darcy Fleming said...

Dexter lays like a frog! I love when he does it :)