Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Relaxing, A Trip to Home Depot (Okay 3), and a Date

I haven't talked about a weekend in awhile and honestly that is kind of because we haven't really done much on the weekends around here. Ben has worked a lot of weekends and when he wasn't working we wanted to maximize his time with Baby E as much as possible. We have spent a lot of time at home.

Being at home is pretty much the norm for us but obviously since I am home all day everyday nowadays, it is nice to get out of the house here and there.

Saturday we got up leisurely, milled around the house a bit and then decided to make a trip to Home Depot for a couple things we needed. Well, one of the things wasn't right so Ben ran back. I waited at home anxiously because...

wait for it...

...we had decided that this was the day/evening for our first date away from the baby. Granted Ben had been away from the baby because he goes to work everyday. The only other time I had left her was for about 20 minutes when she was 6 or 7 weeks old to run to the grocery store. So this was kind of a big deal for me.

My parents arrived and I tried to just make the departure quick so I didn't freak out. I left a bottle of breastmilk  because I thought she would eat while we were gone.

We didn't go too far but had a nice time. We just went to a burger place, had dinner, a couple of beers and visited. I admitted to Ben halfway through the meal that I was feeling a little tipsy after my beer and a half. Embarrassing!

Anyway, I know if we are going to continue to thrive in our marriage, it is important to nurture our relationship as much as nurturing our child/ren. So, I was very happy that we broke the ice and went out. It is also so nice to have my parents so close to babysit. I don't think we would be so quick to head out if we had to have a stranger or something babysit!

So I survived being away the whole hour and a half and when we got home, my parents were very disappointed because she slept the whole time!

On Sunday we again had a leisurely morning and then I went to the grocery store and back to Home Depot to return something else.

When I got home, Ben worked for a little while, E napped, we went for a walk, watched 50/50, cooked dinner and started getting ready for bed. We hadn't changed our sleeping arrangements yet despite my lack of sleep however, for some reason this seemed like the night. I had been working on putting E in her crib or in the pack and play for naps so we figured she would be okay going down in her pack and play. We rocked her for a bit and she went down. She slept in her pack and play the whole night. It was a little strange but I will admit I got some better sleep. 


This weekend felt great because not only did we have some quality time together as a family and as a couple but we had a couple of monumental events happen. Well, monumental in our little world.
{my heart}

Next up: take more family pictures!

In the spirit of this day of love, go ahead and check out our love story.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I was smiling while reading this post because I remember how it felt to leave Haven for the first time.

All of those 2nd child stories are true, though...

With the 2nd kid, if your parents offer to babysit, you don't come home for two days. Ha. Kidding... But you'll know what I mean.

Glad you guys got out of the house alone.. and had a few beers. Yum!

henning love said...

what sweet photos!! your little girl is so precious. happy valentines day!

Kat said...

Congrats on your first date night out!