Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Chocolate Truffle Pie

Over the weekend Hub and I went to my grandparents' house with my parents for dinner. My mom was cooking dinner and taking it so I told her I would make a dessert. I was originally just going to do a chocolate pudding pie {quick and easy} however I came across this recipe the other day in an old Better Homes and Gardens magazine and thought it looked delicious and still pretty quick and easy. It delivered on all accords:

Chocolate Truffle Pie
Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
2 to 3 Tbsp ice-cold water

Filling:
12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 bag (11.5 oz) bittersweet chocolate chips
1 stick unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
3 large eggs
3/4 heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1. Crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until dough begins to come together. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a 1 in. thick disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.

2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll disk into a 12 in. round. Transfer to a 9 in. pie plate, easing onto bottom and sides of the plate. Cut the dough along the edge, leaving a 1 in. border. Fold the edge of dough underneath itself to create a thicker 1/2 in. border that rests on the lip of the pie plate. Crimp if desired.

4. Prick bottom of pie dough all over with a fork. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Line dough with nonstick foil or parchment paper; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is firm, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights, return to oven and bake until crust is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool completely.

{Here's where I tell you a little secret. I used pre-made store-bought pie crust. I know, I know, I'm a cheater, however, again, I was looking for a quick and easy dessert. Like the kind I had to serve in a few hours. So the pre-made served me well}

5.Filling: In a 2-quart heavy sauce pan, melt chocolate and butter over medium-low heat, 
stirring, until smooth smooth. remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and salt.

 Add the chocolate mixture, whisking until fully incorporated.
 Scrape into cooled crust and bake until filling is puffed and set but the center still trembles slightly. 30 to 35 minutes.
 Let cool completely (filling will set as pie cools).
Served with whipped cream if desired. 

{Whipped cream wasn't part of the recipe but since I had heavy whipping cream from the recipe, I just added a little vanilla and powdered sugar and whipped up some cream.}

This dessert was a definite crowd pleaser and will be made again. My grandma is a bit of a chocaholic and she couldn't get enough. I had to leave her a couple pieces for today. My dad likes rich food and he couldn't stop raving. And Hub. Well, Hub loves chocolate and rich food so, well, you can put those pieces together. Enjoy!

What is your favorite dessert? Do you have a go-to dessert that you like to whip up in a pinch? Are you partial to chocolate or fruity desserts? Or both?!



No comments: