Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

So hopefully many of you had a wonderfully relaxing Sunday full of cozy clothes {maybe some NFL inspired attire}, maybe some drinks, maybe some football, but especially some good food! I have come across many a recipe for White Chicken Chili and I was going to make "regular" chili for Sunday's "big game" however I decided to change it up and opt for the poultry instead of the beef. Don't know why but I did. I perused a couple of recipes for this dish but as some of you may not know about me quite yet, when I am throwing stuff in a crock pot, it is somewhat hard for me to follow a recipe. Time to learn about my version of:

White Chicken Chili
Fits in large "oval" shaped Slow Cooker
{This is just how I made the chili. Add ingredients or omit ones you don't like according to your taste buds!}
6 chicken thighs with skin removed
1 can Hominy
I had never used this before but decided to try it instead
of corn. It is actually a really nice texture and since
it is so hearty, you don't lose it amongst all the other
ingredients.
2 cans Great Northern Beans
1 smallish can of green chilies
2 fresh jalapeƱos chopped and seeded
1/2 yellow onion chopped
3 cloves of chopped garlic
2 cans or 1 large of cream of chicken soup
32 ounces chicken broth, divided in half
Dashes or teaspoonfuls {basically just to your liking or until it tastes like you want it to} of:
salt
pepper
garlic salt
cumin
cayenne pepper
chili powder
seasoning salt

The preparation
1. I put the chicken in a pot and just barely covered it with chicken broth and boiled it so the skin would fall of the bones.
2. While the chicken was boiling, I combined all other ingredients into the crock pot. {Pretty tough, I tell ya.}
3. Once the chicken was cooked through and falling of the bones, I took the bones out, added chicken with juice and all into the crock pot and set that baby on high for about an hour to make sure the cream of chicken soup dissolved and then turned it down to low for about four hours. I would taste it about every hour and decide if it needed any more dashes. 

I would say this turned out well. Hub isn't always the biggest soup fan, so I don't think he loved it, even though he wouldn't come right out and say it. {A good man he is. No, really, he is usually pretty honest with what he likes and doesn't like or what he thinks could be different about a recipe. We are a pretty good team in the kitchen.}

We served it with cornbread muffins, some with jalapeƱos and some without.

What are your favorite soups to throw in the crock pot? What was your favorite Superbowl dish? Any special way you have to "spice" up some chili?




No comments: