Friday, February 4, 2011

Burlap Wreath

I haven't really done any projects lately. I have kind of been working a lot. I know, I know, it's really no excuse but for some reason keeping the house in order and reading have been taking priority over "crafting." The other day I had to make a Costco run so I stopped off at a couple of other stores along the way. You may be familiar: Micheal's and JoAnn Fabric. I, apparently, was feeling creative that day and there were a few items on sale so I picked up some things to help me complete some quick projects.

I started out with a wreath. I spoke briefly about my strange love of wreaths. I don't know what it is about them. They seem welcoming. They can be full of anything really. They can be country, modern, primitive, crafty, country bumpkin--Ahhh, the possibilities are endless. I felt our front door was looking a little bare after our Christmas season wreath came down so I got the idea here. So here is my version.

My materials included some burlap, a wreath form, scissors, twine, straight pins, hot glue, buttons, fabric and felt.

I cut three long strips of burlap. 4"x70" and then ended up cutting a bit more to get it all wrapped around the wreath form.

Here it is wrapped around the form.



Then it was time to stitch thread through the burlap to make the ruffle, however, my thread was way to thin. So, I found some twine and a nail and used that instead. Kind of makeshift hand-stitching.


Once the thread twine is through the length of the strip, pull the end of the thread to make your ruffle. Then I just fit it around the form and pushed straight pins in {which I think mine may have been too small} then reinforced those pins with hot glue.


This is where I kind of strayed from the Jones Design tutorial because my ruffle wasn't looking how I wanted and coinciding with what she said was supposed to happen.


So instead of putting the other ruffle on the other side of the wreath form, I just pinned and glued it more inside the wreath form and layered it on top of the other ruffle.


I figured now it was time for some embellishment because it was looking a little drab and that was what I was trying to change about our sad front door. I was peeking over at Tatertots yesterday and came across this post. I noticed the design of the greyish pillow and decided to do a version of it for the flower on my wreath. I cut out a big circle of felt for the backing and began cutting out hearts of a decorative fabric.


I glued them all around.


And layered and glued and layered and glued and ended up with this. I also had some buttons on hand that I used for the center.


I am pretty happy with the outcome and even more happy to just have something on the front door. Here she is in all her glory to welcome the Hub home tonight!


Happy Friday!

What are you all crafting lately? Are you as obsessed with burlap as I am? Are you snowed in at all so that gives you an extra incentive to complete some crafts?

No comments: