Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Start of a New Year

There really isn't anything like ringing in a new year and the sense of promise of change and improvement that it brings. Everyone makes resolutions, sets goals or makes promises. It's funny because sometimes I feel like fall is the start of a new year (I guess from so many years of school) but maybe it is good to have two times in a year to feel as though we can start fresh.

Anyway, I am feeling very motivated to get back on track with exercising, eating right, organizing, purging and giving away items we don't use, and tackling some crafting and home improvement projects! A lot of these things come with a price so I am also going to be more mindful of spending and seeking out some screamin' deals.

I have been pouring over some blogs and have a couple of projects I am interested in:
2010-10-02 055
Image
I came across this on Made it on Monday and it seems like another good beginning sewing project. I learned how to do the ruffle on my pillows, I am sure I can come up with an old pair of pants and what a creative way to not have to go buy fabric. I am learning when I go to the fabric store to actually head straight to the "remnants" pile and start digging because I apparently head straight to the expensive stuff only to cause my eyeballs to bulge straight out of my skull when I get to the register! Oopsie, beginner's mistake.

I am absolutely in love with this beautiful wreath and can't wait to tackle it. I think I have some sort of secret obsession with wreaths that I can't really explain or didn't even really know I had until I see ones I love:
[first+picture.jpg]
Image
This cheery gem comes from Tatertots and Jello and appears to be quick and simple as well. I am waiting to see what my mom pulls out of her fabric collection to see what I can pilfer. Since I am taking down the Christmas season wreath today it will be nice to replace it with something to brighten the front door during the rest of the wintery months.

Onto the next hobby: Cooking! I received four cookbooks for Christmas and can't wait to get started. Hub commented last night that I have all these cookbooks and what do I cook out of them? Well, I have my standby:
However, I do have quite a few books on the shelf that don't always get opened too often. The excitement of a new cookbook chalk full of new recipes is always so much more exciting than the dusty ones on the shelf. I want to get out of that mentality. I want to use the books I have: 400 Soups, Better Home and Gardens: Our Best Recipes, and now to include the newbies: The Pioneer Woman Cooks, and Texas Treasury of Dutch Oven Cooking 

I am also excited that my back is feeling better and it is time to get back into the workout routine with my new heart rate monitor:
Suunto t3d Sporty Red
Image
As well as some sleek, new Nike running pants.

Sounds like I have a busy year ahead and a lot of goals to accomplish! I guess the first place to start will be to take down the Christmas decorations....

What are some of your goals/resolutions/promises? Any Christmas gifts proving to be highly motivating for you?


No comments: