Sunday, January 30, 2011

Here Little Piggy, Pig, Pig

I hadn't mentioned it but last weekend Hub and I spent the majority of Saturday at my parents house helping to build a pig pen. {Actually, my mom and I ran a couple of errands while the guys built the pen. But I helped a little when we got back.} My parents were planning to get two pigs to raise and eventually slaughter. Hub and I said we wanted in on the deal so we would help and get some yummy pork.

Fast forward to this weekend, yesterday we arose slowly after Hub being out of town all week, had some coffee, caught up on some shows. {Sidenote: I am quite proud of myself because I watched the pilot episode of:
Image
the other night and had planned to just watch them all myself however after I watched it, I thought Hub might enjoy it so I saved the rest of the first disc to watch with him. What do you know? He liked it.}

After we enjoyed our lazy morning, complete with homemade corn pancakes by Hub, we headed over to my parents' house to meet the pigs. Well, they weren't there when we got there so we threw the ball for Holly, sat on the front porch and waited. {Yes, I have a key, we were just kind of enjoying being outside even if it was pouring. Hub works in an office all day everyday in front of a computer so he likes being outside as much as possible.}

Finally they pulled in the driveway with the pigs in the back. We went out to see them {still, lovely, pouring rain} and they are so cute. There are three now because my mom just thought they were so cute she had to have one more. But I mean, take a look, they are pretty cute.
Rooting around already


Already hungry. Look at their little, piggy backsides!

Holly is not quite sure what to make of them
So there were a few finishing touches to put on the pig pen since they ended up being younger and smaller than my dad anticipated. Apparently pigs are quite the little escape artists so we don't want them squeezing through any areas in the gate and such. I think all in all this should be a pretty fun experience for the family and  it will be nice putting in the time and effort for some delicious pork to be enjoyed most like in late summer.

{Hub and I are actually kind of interested in getting a pet pig. Like a potbelly. We hear they are very smart and fun to have around the house. Any info in this area?}

On another note: Please look at this beautiful sunset off my back porch the other night...

Do you have any experience with "farming"? Has your family ever raised lovestock?

No comments: