Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making the Time for Reading

I have always loved to read. When I was younger I could always be found with a book in hand. I could read in the car, with TV on in the background, with music on, while people were talking...literally, anytime. I feel as I have gotten older, I have been reading less and I want that to change. It seems like I can always find an excuse not to read. Throughout college there were always college texts to be read and now there is laundry to be done, dishes to be scrubbed, dust to be wiped, a bathroom to be cleaned, groceries to be bought, dinner to make, that one show to watch and sleep to be had! I hate that I can always talk myself out of sitting down with a book.

The other problem with me and reading is that once I am engrossed in a book, that's it. I am into it so don't talk to me and don't expect me to do anything until I finish that book. It's addicting! Maybe I could just plan reading time everyday. That sounds so silly but I feel like for things that are important, it is okay to make sure I have time for them. After all, work is scheduled, appointments are scheduled, dates with friends, dates with Hub--why not schedule time to read?

I am reading:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Book]
and even though I heard from some that it was a little hard to get into at first, it really picks up and is a great book, I have seriously loved it from the start. Larsson's writing style took a little getting used to in the beginning but now it is quite a page-turner for me. 

So, on top of some of the goals I talked about before, I also intend to bring back my love of reading. I am also a firm believer that being a reader results in one being a better writer so hopefully that works for me too! I simply detest how as we get older so many things we used to have time for just fall by the wayside.

When do you find time to read? Do you feel guilty while you're reading thinking about others tasks? What are you reading right now?

3 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I always carve out 30 or so minute to read in bed at night before turning off the lights. It helps me unwind from the chaos!! Thankfully, my husband likes to read before bed, too, so we just lay there together.

Unknown said...

The woman sitting next to me on the plane last week was reading this. I will have to pick it up and give it a try!

kaitlyn said...

i finished this book while we were in london. i loved it. the second one picks up much quicker. although i will say, so far the sex scenes are more graphic and frequent. oh well. :). you can also watch the movies on netflix instant when you are done! bonus!