Friday, February 25, 2011

Three's a Crowd?

Starting last Sunday, we were dog-sitting two labs. We have one lab. Let's do the math, people.

2+1=3
Yes. That's right. Three ca-razy labs running around my house. And in my yard. Jumping on my bed, shedding, licking, playing, wrestling, you name it. 

Sorry for the poor picture quality. All taken with a cell
phone. We all know how long a dog will actually sit
for a picture.
I actually offered to do this. {I know, right?!} A co-worker of mine was talking about taking a trip and this is the semi-slower time at work so she mentioned how expensive the kennel is that she takes them too. Not complaining at all, just mentioned that would be the big expense of her trip since she was going to visit family. Well, I love labs {obviously} so I piped up and said, "Well, we will do it for 1/2 the price of your kennel."  She questioned me multiple times on if I was sure or not and I just kept reassuring her. I mean, honestly, what could be tough about two more dogs?

We brought the girls, Pearl and Lily, home last Sunday. We took them down to our beach with another couple and their lab {Are you staying with me here? The count is up to 4 labs} and let the dogs swim, play, chase the ball, etc.

The first night with the girls was good, Lily had trouble sleeping which I think is pretty understandable considering they were in another human's house, they usually sleep in the bed with their mama {no we did not let them in our bed, I'm not that nice!}, and she probably just couldn't find "her spot."

After that night, it was pretty easy. Except for the weather here. It was rainy, snowy and cold for their whole stay here. Can I just tell you how dirty they got in our backyard? I regret not taking any pictures of the muddy paws that trekked all over our house but it's probably because I was too busy frantically trying to wipe them off! Do you know what it's like trying to wipe off three dogs at once? Literally that's what I had to do because they would just wander off leaving paw prints all over if I didn't wrangle them all in at once and hold a paw each. 

They are really calm and easy-going though, so that was really nice. I think Holly really enjoyed having some friends around. Hub has been trying to tell me for awhile now that we need another dog so Holly can have a friend. I am convinced, we just haven't found the one yet. And sometimes I get a little misty thinking about Holly not being our "only child" anymore. 


Have you had any fun adventures in pet-sitting? How do you feel about multiple dogs? 

No comments: