Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's Almost Time...

...To begin our cloth diapering adventure. The Bum Genius diapers we have start around eight pounds and we tried one on the little Miss the other day and body wise they fit okay but her lil' legs still need to fill out a bit. I am actually getting really excited to start using them. We have gotten the diaper routine down, she isn't poo-ing every time she eats, I don't feel completely overwhelmed by washing diapers every day to start, I am tired of our overflowing garbage and let's face it, the cloths are much cuter.
Source
I have poured over blogs over the past few months, well, basically my whole pregnancy knowing this is the route we wanted to take, and I think I am ready to start. By the time we start, we will have eleven diapers and eventually I hope to get more but I think this will be okay to start. Obviously I'm sure it will take some time to get used to since disposables are pretty easy and quick.

We made the decision to cloth diaper based on cost and to be honest, I like the idea of not producing as much garbage. We are not just going to have one child either so we will have the diapers for future offspring. That also came into play in the decision-making. I will be the primary care-taker for the baby so we don't have to worry about a day-care opposing the idea or anything like that. I hope to get comfortable enough to use them all the time but I'm sure there will be times, maybe when we are on a outing in the beginning or if we travel somewhere that we are unsure of the ability to wash, that we don't.

I think we will definitely be making the transition within the month so we will see how it goes and I will keep updated on our adventure. I think it's good that I'm going into this with the mentality that it's an adventure, right?!

On another note, yes, I realize that the majority of my posts since December 1st have been baby/child related. That is the main topic of my life right now, however I assume that will simmer down a little and I will get back to recipes, crafts, etc. The blog world is so nice with topics that are baby-related, though, because there are so many moms out there. So, with that said, if you have headed down the cloth diaper route, what advice do you have? What is your routine/supply/diaper preference? Are there any special secrets that I need to know?!




No comments: