Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Mom Community

I know there is a lot of talk out there about competition or jealousy between moms. Comparing your kids, wondering if yours measures up to the next, wondering if your kids are hitting milestones at the right times, and having the "right" clothes, toys or accessories. All of this to me is stupid.

The other side of being a mom is having compassion. Especially for your own kind--other moms. You know, when you're out and about and open up your diaper bag and realize you forgot wipes and there is a mom willing to share. You are in a restaurant and your kid is throwing a fit and instead of getting a sideways glance with an eye roll, a mom looks over and gives you the knowing glance saying "I've totally been there."

I have yet to experience a lot of this, obviously. Today I feel like I got my first taste. I tried to be on top of things this morning and I was going to make two dishes. After I am halfway through both, I realize they both need milk. We are out. Luckily I could put what I had made in the refrigerator and wait for milk. Well, come afternoon and I am a little restless. I don't want to load the baby in the car just to get milk. There are other things I could get at the store but I'm really not in the mood for a bigger shopping trip. Definitely something to adjust to with having a baby--can't just run out at a moment's notice and have it be easy. There is a convenience store about a 10 minute walk from our house so I decide to load Eleanor into the front pack and take a walk. We bundle up and head out. I get milk and two Gatorades and end up with two bags. I start heading back home.

I am about halfway home and as I am walking past an apartment building parking lot, a car pulls into the parking lot and a lady sticks her head out and says, "Do you need a ride somewhere?" I smile and say I am almost home and thank her.

This was a busy road she pulled off of. I can only assume she is a mom or grandma and was about to take time out of her day to help another mom. Or she's just a really nice lady. I'll assume she's a mom.

Thanks, nice lady, and of course I will pay your nice gesture forward into the mom community. What a nice community I decided to join!

What helpful experiences have you had with other moms? 

3 comments:

Tatum said...

Love this! You hear of all the competition and "out-doing" one another and it's just not for me. I have a great group of girlfriends and it seems whenever one tells a horror story about a tantrum at the store or a time when she lost her temper we all chime in and tell our own stories. Letting that mom know she's not alone and that we all have those moments. It's so refreshing to know there are so many other moms out there in the same boat. Sounds like you are a fabulous momma! : )

Katie {katie lately} said...

Wow, that is so cool!! Not very often do people do things like that. I'm glad you got your milk too :)

Holly said...

Very awesome. I just find it helpful when people open the door for me when my hands are full. :) One time, my son was having a fit and a lady let me cut in line to checkout quicker!