Friday, October 28, 2011

Recent Reading

I finally finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. I think I can say that the last book was my favorite.
Source
I got all three books for Christmas last year and am just now finishing up. It's not because I didn't like them because I really did. They are all very intense books and definitely a different type of writing than I had ever experienced before. However, I really enjoyed that. It felt like I was really branching out. I would warn though, if you haven't already read these, they are a little graphic in some parts and there are some disturbing images. I am looking forward to seeing the movie that comes out in December. I really like Daniel Craig as an actor and think he will do a great job playing Mikael Blomkvist.

Next up, I needed a lighter read. Well this book definitely delivered in that department.

Something Borrowed
Source
In my opinion, it is a little too light. I read it maybe a day and a half and was less than thrilled. Maybe it was because I had just come off a heavier read but it just all seemed so shallow and young to me. Don't get me wrong, I love a good chick flick and I'm sure this movie will be good for that. I just didn't love the book all that much. I was thinking about getting the second book, Something Blue, but thought better of it and feel like I don't need to read it just because it is what comes next.

Now, I have moved onto something that is becoming more relevant in my life with each passing day.
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn (4th Edition): The Complete Guide
Source
A friend let me borrow this book that they received in their birth class. Our birth class is a little different than the one they took so I thought it would be good to read this book along with taking our class. {That we started last night.} I really like it so far and just finished the birthing chapter and onto reading about possible medical interventions. Since we are planning natural childbirth, obviously our hope is to have no medical intervention, however, we understand that things to come up and want to be prepared for as much as we can and many possible outcomes. I think this book does a really great job at outlining all aspects whether you are planning a hospital or out of hospital birth. So far I would highly recommend it if you didn't receive it or something like it with your birth class.

Last night at our class, our instructor recommended a book that educated on immunizations. This is a pretty hot topic right now and it is very overwhelming. She said this book is really good at just explaining what each vaccination is and then we can make our own informed decision rather than be influenced by the mainstream, internet or a pediatrician.
The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child (Sears Parenting Library)
Source
What books have you been reading lately? What are your thoughts on any of these books? For you moms out there, any thoughts on immunizations {I know it can be a touchy subject so no pressure to answer and I respect everyone's opinion on the matter.}?

No comments: